FIX Message PositionMaintenanceRequest (MsgType=AL)
|MsgType||FIX Specification||First introduced|
|MsgType=AL||PostTrade messages - PositionMaintenance||FIX.4.4|
The Position Maintenance Request message allows the position owner to submit requests to the holder of a position which will result in a specific action being taken which will affect the position. Generally, the holder of the position is a central counter party or clearing organization but can also be a party providing investment services. Submission of a request may result in the following:
- adjustement of both the long and short start of day position quantity
- exercise of an option position into a position in the instrument underlying the option
- abandonment of an option position that would otherwise exercise
- netting of current day trades to change to the end of day long and short position
- spreading of a position against other position in order to reduce margin requirements
- pledge of a position for collateral purposes
- large trader submission of the long and short quantities
The request may be submitted as either new, replace or cancel and may refer to a specific position or the previously submitted message. The request is always submitted as of a Clearing Business Date and is therefore required. The parties both owning and holding the position are specified in the parties block.
Message Contents By FIX Version
Please post comments, clarifications, examples here. Click on the edit button on the right and away you go!
Don't forget to refer to the FPL Discussion Groups to back up anything you write. You will often find the authoritative statements on matters of FIX specification interpretation there. Links from FIXwiki pages to relevant discussions on the FPL site are very valuable.
For example if you were writing a clarification on how to specify the "quantity" of an order in FIX, you might add the following relevant link, http://www.fixprotocol.org/discuss/read/f5014573, to back up your points.